Automation in time tracking is fairly and squarely new and therefore, over the decade, it has undergone a great metamorphosis to be relevant to current value creating propositions in business. Timesheet management software has evolved greatly in terms from being just a time recording system to more of a business efficiency tool. Before we list out some of the feature ratifications that it has undergone, let’s deep dive into the modern day time management challenges. It is significant to understand that every development is the result of the soaring need to address certain challenges.
Modern Time Tracking Challenges in Businesses
Time is the greatest resource of all. Inability to harness it effectively impacts work at an individual level and productivity at the organizational level. The way the businesses run are ruthless and in a cut-throat environment. With the challenges to not only have a strong hold on the current market but also forecast for the forthcoming years, it is imperative that time management processes are immaculate and in place. So, here is an exhaustive list of time management challenges faced by enterprises irrespective of their size.
- Lack of task prioritization-This can be truly detrimental to the overall organizational work culture. Trying to challenge oneself into delivering all possible work without any clarity of what to prioritize can jeopardize any project. Therefore the lack of prioritization features in any project or online employee timesheet software will lead to waste of time and effort.
- Absence of team and individual employee task goals– A rudimentary and basic time tracking system is no match for the dynamic and complex business ecosystem today. Lack of proper goal setting mechanism can lead to a loss of direction in a project leading to an increased number of review and bug fixing cycles. On one hand, an individual team player’s performance also cannot be evaluated and on the other, the scope of the project will forever remain in the state of flux. Cumulatively, this can cost the company in terms of the client.
- Lack of ‘To-Do Lists’ for daily reference– Setting goals is not just enough. Every time and project management software must have a mechanism to prioritize work on a daily basis. Lack of ‘To-Do Lists’ can really lead to lack of direction when it comes to delivery of work.
- Blocking time or remaining ‘busy’ all the time– This is clearly a stress generating attitude that never allows a resource to have a breather. Such an attitude is detrimental to the work quality of an individual team player and stops him or her from working in an organized manner on a day to day basis. ‘Being Busy’ isn’t synonymous with efficiency. It is just an indicator of poor work management.
Latest Trends to Mitigate the Above Challenges
Over the period of last 7 years, the overall gamut of time and task management has taken on new wings with a holistic outlook on driving business efficiency. Let’s explore some of the recent but revolutionary features that are gradually getting incorporated in every time and project management system. These are:
- Kanban boards– Introduced by Toyota Corp way back in the 1940s, Kanban boards are Just-In-Time need-based methodology of managing projects mainly in the manufacturing and retail sector. This philosophy has been widely incorporated in the working mechanism of employee timesheet management software designed today. Through a visually indicative and interactive board, cross-functional teams across different industry verticals get meaningful insights into gaps and productivity in their projects.
- Analytics– Currently developed time tracking systems incorporate features for generating smart analytics. These analytics enables the management to understand the gaps in productivity and take suitable steps to close those gaps. Very importantly, the analytics, offered by the different apps, can be imported in the form of smart sheets with innovative data filters. This makes the use of this analytics easier and eliminates voluminous data points.
- Automated task scheduling modules– Most of the time, task scheduling in online employee timesheet software happens through the cloud. Through this feature, project managers can review notifications and generate email alerts. The team members can see these task schedules real-time and those in different time zones can plan their work better.
- Biometric Kiosk– This is basically a touch screen feature that enables the HR department in keeping a track of employee attendance. Furthermore, this kiosk being android based can be easily integrated with the Android smartphones of the employees. Additionally, employees can request time offs from anywhere and also review job listings.
- Mobile supported time sheets– The employees can download this enterprise application and fill in their timesheets from any time and anywhere. This basically supports teams that work remotely and those traveling. This helps them to adhere to the company’s time-related policies without a miss.
- Kaizen– The incorporation of Kaizen methodology in the time management systems yields multifarious results. The whole idea is to continuously improve business processes and in smaller increments. This minimizes wastage of time, improvement in the quality of work, lowering costs, and speedy delivery.